The Furbys at 'The Pines', their home on Bramley Street, corner of Yeovil, c1900
George and Mrs Furby are seated at the centre of this group. Assuming the rest are family their names can be inferred
It may be that Arthur is watching his brother Gerald, off to the left playing croquet, while Mary and the dog are looking at her father as he takes this picture.
cursor over a face
William Samuel Bletcher, his mother Caroline Mary Marsh and James Gooderham Wortscursor over an image
Francis Evatt was Town Clerk here in the mid 1800s. His brother, Dr William Henry Evatt, married Elizabeth Worts, daughter of James Worts, co-founder of Gooderham & Worts. There is a less tenuous Gooderham family connection to Port Hope. The Evatts moved on to Hamilton and Guelph.
Henry Evatt was born into a military family in the republic of Ireland in 1774. Having served in the regular army, his father accepted the appointment of Lieut and Adjutant to the County Monaghan Militia in 1793, quickly rising to the rank of Captain. Both Henry and his
elder brother Francis served in the unit, which saw action during the troubles in Northern Ireland. Both were present at the Battle of Ballynahinch,
cursor over the image
June 1798, when their father was shot down
by a rebel sniper. Henry later succeeded his father as captain and adjutant, while Francis joined the regular army as Cornet in the 21st (Light) Dragoons in 1802. Henry followed, joining his brother's regiment at
the Cape of Good Hope in 1806. After a few years Henry and his wife Maria (King) returned to Ireland with their first son. Francis remained, eventually becoming the Commandant of Port Elizabeth. He died at Port Elizabeth, South Africa, in 1850, and is today considered the founder of that town.
In 1813 Henry Evatt resigned his Lieutenancy in the 21st Dragoons. How he occupied himself as a civilian for the following four years is unknown, but the deep recession into which Europe was plunged following the peace of 1815 must have hit him hard. Sometime in 1817
he struck out for Canada in hope of obtaining employment in a military department, and securing a Lieutenant's land grant. In February 1818 he was granted 100 acres at Yonge Township, Upper Canada, (Bath). Maria and their three sons joined him that summer. He received
approval for another 100 acres in August. His fortunes improved the following autumn when he was appointed Asst Barrack Master at Coteau-du-Lac in Lower Canada. He served at that post for the following fifteen years, being promoted Barrack Master by 1832. By 1835
he also held the situation of Lock Keeper and Issuer, as well as Post Master. The extra income must have been welcome, for by that date his family had grown to three sons and two daughters.
Upon the retirement of Major Andrew Patton at Toronto in 1835, Evatt was appointed Barrack Master in his stead (the fourth), and he and
his family were once again obliged to pull up stakes. Evatt served the troops in this city for the next six years, most notably through the Rebellion Crisis of 1837-38. In 1841, he became Barrack Master at Hamilton, Ont, where he moved with Maria and their two daughters who
were still at home. He died at his final address, on Hannah Street (now Charlton), on 22 December 1857, aged 83, and was interred at Hamilton Cemetery.
Daughters of Francis E Evatt, an early Town Clerk of Port Hope, and an Insurance Agentcursor over a face
William Gooderham and, by inference, Harriet Dean, daughter-in-law, and Adelaide Mary Gooderham, granddaughtercursor over a face
Several pages of a Canada Directory are combined in the following image. Bletcher's Corners is now called Dale Corners.
The Dr Evatt listed on
John Street is Francis Evatt's brother William Henry who married Elizabeth, daughter of James Worts and Elizabeth Gooderham. Five or more of their children were born in Port Hope, at least one of whom is buried here.