A FEW OF THE PROMINENT BUSINESS HOUSES REVIEWED.
Port Hope has, for a long period of years, been prominently associated with the merchant shipping of Central Ontario, and possesses a splendid harbor. As a manufacturing centre, Port Hope is of much importance, and possesses exceptional natural advantages, having excellent water privileges, which, thanks to the enterprise of capitalists and others, have been largely made use of. Among the various industries, located here, and carried on with much success, are, iron foundries, stone and plough factories, machine shops, carriage factories, flouring, and saw mills, and tanneries. The commercial importance of Port Hope, is generally recognized, and for some years past, it has been very largely developed, until now, it extends, even beyond the limits of the Dominion. There are several bank agencies in Port Hope, a Mechanics' Institute, and two daily, and three weekly newspapers. It possesses a fire brigade, which is well equipped, which was first organized, in 1850 ; and its excellent system of water-works, was established in 1859. The Post Office, built in 1885, is a handsome, three-storey, brick structure, situated on the corner of Queen and Hector streets. On the second floor, are the County Judge's Chambers, and the Customs' Inland Revenue offices. The educational advantages of Port Hope, are of a very superior character. Trinity College School, a branch of Trinity College, Toronto, was first established, in the village of Weston, in 1865. There are also excellent high, and common schools, and the system of training, is the most thorough and efficient. The various religious denominations, are represented, and there is a number of very fine church edifices. Port Hope is 63 miles east of Toronto, and contains a population of 5,500.
James Buckle & Sons, Manufacturers of Porpoise and Cordovan Round Laces and Leathers, Bedford Street.—An enterprise of great importance carried on with continuing success in Port Hope, is that in which Messrs. James Buckle & Sons are engaged. This firm has been established here for only a comparatively few years, but manufacturing a class of goods of a superior grade of quality, they have already acquired a reputation second to none in Canada, in their particular line, and their trade, which is a very large one, extends over the Dominion. They occupy very large premises, the building being a two storey structure, 104x60 feet in dimensions. The premises are most conveniently laid out for the industry carried on, each process being assigned to a separate department, and included in the excellent equipment. The firm have at very considerable expense introduced machines made in England for rolling laces, etc.; the whole building is heated by hot water. Employment is given to twenty five hands, and an engine of 30 horse power supplies the motive power. The goods manufactured are plain and rolled leather laces for boots, etc., cordovan and polished pebble leather, plain glazed leathers, and leather for brace suspenders, a specialty being made of laces made from real porpoise skins. This firm also manufactures an excellent imitation of porpoise lace. This firm is the only manufacturer of lace leathers in Canada. Mr James Buckle, the senior member, is a native of Yorkshire, England, and came to Port Hope with his two sons in 1882. Mr. Buckle is a practical and thorough man of business, energetic, enterprising and upright in all his dealings. He is a member of the Durham Lodge, S. O. E. B. S.
William C Black, Manufacturer of Horse Collars, Cavan Street.—The industry in which this gentleman is engaged was established by him in 1881. The factory is thoroughly equipped with the latest and most improved machinery incident to this particular industry, and a staff of competent workmen is employed. Mr. Black manufactures long and short straw horse collars of some twenty-six different kinds, and his products are not surpassed by any placed on the market. From the date of inception the trade has gradually grown, until now it extends over the entire Dominion of Canada. Mr Black, who is a native of the County of Wellington, has resided in Port Hope since 1876. He is a practical and most reliable man of business whose success in his enterprise was largely due to his straightforward and irreproachable dealings, as also to the superior grade of his products.
S Williams & Co, Merchant Tailors and dealers in Gentlemen's Furnishing Goods, Walton Street.—The tailoring art was never so thoroughly developed, nor so much appreciated as at the present time, and none identified with the merchant tailoring trade of Port Hope are more aware of these facts than S. Williams & Co. The trade of this house was established in 1869, by the firm of Kells & Hills, to which the present proprietor, Mr. S Williams succeeded in 1876. This gentleman has long been engaged in the merchant tailoring business, being now an acknowledged leader in his line. His handsomely fitted up premises are located on Walton Street, and are 20 x 65 feet in dimensions with plate-glass front, and the excellent assortment of goods constantly on hand, comprise the finest fabrics from all the famous looms of the world, including tweeds from England and Scotland, imported direct by Mr Williams. In his stock will be found a choice lot of overcoatings, trouserings, suitings, etc., also a fine assortment of collars and cuffs imported from the United States. In the manufacture of clothing, Mr Williams guarantees a perfect fit, while the artistic style, cut and finish of all garments issuing from his establishment have secured for him an enviable reputation. As an evidence of this, Mr Williams' trade is not merely local, but extends to British Columbia, Manitoba and also the United States. Mr. Williams is a native of the Township of Clark, and came to reside in Port Hope in 1860. He is a practical and thorough man of business and gives to his enterprise his strict personal attention. His facilities are unrivalled and he is an acquisition to the fraternity, which he adorns by his courtesy, energy and ability.
V A Coleman, Manufacturer of Saddlery Hardware, Cavan Street,—The subject of this sketch is a native of Brockville, and came to Port Hope in 1870. He has since an early age been identified with the manufacture of leather, harness, boots, shoes, etc., and being a gentleman possessing great energy, perseverance and enterprise, has made various important improvements connected with these industries, particularly in saddlery hardware has he been successful in placing on the market an article which is claimed to be the most perfect of its kind produced in Canada, namely, a TRACE BUCKLE, which possesses the following points of excellence: It clamps the trace between two flat plates, and consequently injures it as little as possible; it tightens on the trace only when the horse pulls; there is no possibility of losing the tongue plate (or wedge).; the buckle is manufactured in a durable form, and of the best material attainable, so as to ensure ay few breakages as possible; the springs are constructed of the best brass spring wire, and each coil which the hinge pin passes through is looped alternately, so that there are three loops equal to six wires bearing upon the tongue holding it in position, and three other loops resting on the bottom of the spring box j holding it in position. There is no possibility of its wearing out by any amount of use, and scarcely I any possibility of its getting clogged. Mr Coleman manufactures trace buckles, double hook snaps and halter furniture, churn gear, harness fittings, etc.; but a specialty is made of the trace buckles and halter furniture. The Coleman trace buckles, Coleman's double hook snaps, and Coleman's halter furniture are covered by patent in the United States and Canada. As might be expected a very large trade is enjoyed by Mr Coleman, extending as it does over the entire Dominion. Mr. Coleman's enterprise has, by supplying the market himself, stopped the importation from England and the U. S. to a large extent of several articles which are in his line of business.
J F Clark, Importer of and Dealer in Dry Goods, and Merchant Tailor, Walton Street.— Among the most enterprising and successful men of business in this section of the country must be ranked Mr. J F Clark. This gentleman embarked in business in 1878, and possessing rare executive ability, energy and perseverance, and whose dealings withal were of a straightforward and upright character, he rapidly built up a trade and connection, acquiring at the same time an enviable reputation. He occupies large and commodious premises, comprising a four storey brick structure, 32 x 100 feet in dimensions. The premises are handsomely fitted up with large plate-glass fronts. The stock carried is immense, being an excellent assortment of goods. It comprises fancy and staple goods, silks, satins and plushes, dress goods and all kinds of furs and fur goods in season. The tailoring department comprises a fine assortment of broadcloths, tweeds, woollens, hats, caps and gents' furnishings. In the rear is the boot and shoe department, where a large and varied stock is always on hand, and there is still another department, namely, that of groceries, in which there is a stock of staple and fancy groceries, provisions, canned goods, teas, coffees, dried fruits, farmers' produce, etc. Mr Clark is a large direct importer of dress goods from France, of gloves and hosiery from Germany, of tweeds from Scotland, of worsteds from England, of teas from Japan. He buys exclusively for cash, and it goes without saying that his facilities in the markets are unrivalled. A specialty is made of the tailoring department; a first-class cutter is employed, and all goods issuing from this establishment are of strictly standard grade, and a very large trade is carried on, extending as far west as Toronto. A large number of hands is employed in this busy mart, there being ten in the dry goods, grocery and boot and shoe departments and eighteen in the tailoring department. Mr Clark was born in the Township of Monaghan, about fifteen miles from Port Hope, to which town he came in 1867, and which he has since made his home. He takes a prominent and active part in connection with the First Presbyterian Church, of which he is an elder, and the Y. M. C. A., being a gentleman who is universally esteemed.
Queen's Hotel, A A Adams, proprietor, Corner of Walton and John Streets.—To the traveller who spends most of his time on the road, there are few things of greater importance to him than good hotel accommodation. In Port Hope, however, no anxiety need be entertained, for here first-class hotel accommodation is to be found, and the Queen's affords it. This popular hostelry was established about forty years ago, and was assumed by the present proprietor in 1873. The Queen's is a large and massive three storey brick structure, being 60 x 120 feet in dimensions. It is eligibly situated on the corner of Walton and John Streets. It is fully equipped in every respect as a first-class hotel, being notably one of the best in this section of the country. It contains thirty bedrooms, private and public parlors, four sample rooms and sitting rooms, with telephone, and pull-bells in all rooms. All modern conveniences are on each flat. The rooms are elegantly furnished; they have high ceilings, and are light and airy, and during the cold season of the year, are always comfortable. In connection with the hotel, is a first-class livery establishment. The Queen's is essentially the popular hotel here, enjoying a very large commercial and general patronage. Mr. Adams is a Canadian. He is an experienced and most competent hotel-keeper, whose hospitable and genial manners have won for him universal popularity.
William Williamson, Bookseller and Stationer, Walton Street.—The intellectual advancement of the community is pretty accurately arrived at in ascertaining the state of its book and stationery trade. Happily, in Port Hope, it is in a very flourishing condition, and among those most prominently identified with it, is Mr. W. Williamson. The business carried on by this gentleman was established many years ago, and assumed by him in 1875, since which time a very large and flourishing trade has been built up, while a reputation for fair and honorable dealings is enjoyed by Mr Williamson. He occupies commodious premises, comprising a three-storey brick structure, 25 x 60 feet in dimensions, and the stock carried is heavy, complete, and well-assorted. The first floor is devoted to books, stationery, fancy goods, artists' materials, and novelties of all kinds, the second floor to wall papers, picture framing, etc., and the third floor to book binding, of which a specialty is made, and in which Mr. Williamson is somewhat largely engaged. Mr. Williamson imports from England and the United States, and buys altogether for cash, his facilities enabling him to compete with any similar establishment in this section of the country. He also manufactures picture frames, an industry for which he is noted, and in which he is unexcelled. Mr Williamson is a native of Scotland, and has resided in Port Hope since 1875. He is a thorough, energetic, and most reliable man of business, and is highly esteemed in the community. He is a member of the Board of Harbor Commissioners, and has been so for some years
R B Williamson, Dealer in Pianos, Organs and Sewing Machines, corner of Walton and Queen Streets. —The universal taste for music of a high class has made the merchandise in pianos, organs, etc. of very great importance, and gentlemen of ability, energy and enterprise are engaged in this business. Every centre of importance offers an inviting field to well directed energy, and prominent among those identified with the music trade of Port Hope is Mr R B Williamson. This gentleman, who is a Canadian, and a thorough judge of musical instruments, came to Port Hope in 1873, and embarked in his present enterprise. He occupies eligible and spacious premises, being 27x60 feet in dimensions, and comprise part of a four storey brick structure. The wareroom is tastefully fitted up, has plate glass front, and is lit by electricity. Mr Williamson in selecting his stock has displayed no small judgment, handling only those articles that have become famous. For instance, he handles the Heintzman piano, the Dominion organs and pianos, Bell organs, instruments that are well-known throughout the whole of Canada. Mr. Williamson also imports a fine line of pianos, organs and sewing machines from the United States, and he also controls the Raymond sewing machine in the midland districts. This gentleman enjoys unrivalled facilities, dealing as he does directly with the manufacturers, with whom he makes large contracts, and controlling a large local jobbing trade, can always offer special advantages to the customer. Mr Williamson is widely and most favorably known, both socially and otherwise.
Alonzo W Spooner, Manufacturer of Copperine, John Street.—This practical and enterprising gentleman began business in Port Hope in 1884, and has since that date placed on the market a metal known as copperine, which for the purposes for which it is meant, is unexcelled. Copperine is a purely non-fibrous anti-friction metal, made of copper and tin, and is intended to be used by engineers in fitting axle boxes. The chief difficulty in this respect hitherto, was in keeping the axles from heating. Brass, bronze and babbit metal are used, but all have more or less friction, which engenders heat. Copperine is a metal patented by Mr Spooner in the United States and Canada, and possesses such qualities, that it is practically impossible to heat it in the box. For heavy journal bearings, crank pins, steamboats, saw mills, roller grist mills, planing mills, and in all good machine work, Copperine is to be strongly recommended. M. Spooner also manufactures brands of oil, that have obtained for him a wide reputation, making a specialty of Amber brands, known as "Golden Star XXX," engine, "Golden Star XX" engine, and "Golden Star X", machine. Mr Spooner enjoys a very large and constantly increasing trade extending over the Dominion. He is also a heavy dealer in lumber, his operations during the lumbering season necessitating the employment of a very large number of hands. Mr Spooner is a gentleman of great energy and enterprise, and is a representative man of business.