The End of John Street
1955. Looking east. All of the eastern side of John Street in this picture, and more, was occupied by the Eldorado.
In the 50s Eldorado was picking off houses one at a time. Later, in an atmosphere of eminent domain, all the houses south of the railway tracks on John, Smith, Choate and Marsh Streets were acquired and obliterated so the bloated Eldorado, today called Cameco, could swell to an even more grotesque size. In 1956 they took over the old Mathews Conveyor factory to the south when Mathews moved to a new plant on Peter Street.
Thanks to Pat (Croft) McMillan
hold cursor over a factory building, or a house to see the names of some of the people who lived there during the 1940s, 50s and 60s
Do their apologists, who bleat about the property taxes paid by Cameco, take into account the taxes lost when the owners of two dozen properties were forced to sell out, and the houses bulldosed?