In the early 1830s, the Methodist Church decided to build the Upper Canada Academy in Cobourg.
They laid the cornerstone on June 7, 1832 and opened it on June 18, 1836. The total cost of constructing the building was $40,000.
By 1841, by means of a Royal Charter and Act of Parliament, it became Victoria College with University status.
The Rev. Egerton Ryerson was its first President.
The last graduating class was in 1892 before the University 'moved' to Toronto.